Year 6 Autumn Term 1 & 2
In Maths we will be:
- Developing knowledge of place value.
- Adding and subtracting using formal written methods.
- Multiplying and dividing using formal written methods.
- Looking at the relationship between fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Using our maths knowledge to support problem solving and reasoning based around Geometry and Measures.
- Completing weekly Arithmetic tests.
- Regularly practising our mental maths.
In English we will be:
- Writing Non-Chronological reports about World War 2.
- Working on a range of techniques for writing narratives.
- Reading and writing poems.
- Learning how to effectively research a text type and plan to write it using key features.
- Developing key year 5 and 6 spellings by investigating patterns.
In Science, we will be:
Recognising that light appears to travel in straight lines: using the idea that light travels in straight lines to explain that objects are seen because they give out or reflect light into the eye: explaining that we see things because light travels from light sources to our eyes or from light sources to objects and then to our eyes; using the idea that light travels in straight lines to explain why shadows have the same shape as the objects that cast them.
Art & Design
In Art, we will be:
Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design; improving upon art and design techniques through drawing, painting and sculpting with a range of materials.
In Computing, we will be:
Using sequence, selection, and repetition in programs; work with variables and various forms of input and output.
Design and Technology
In Design and Technology, we will be:
Use research and develop design criteria to inform the design of innovative, functional, appealing products that are fit for purpose, aimed at particular individuals or groups; select from and use a wider range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their functional properties and aesthetic qualities; evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work; apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce more complex structures; prepare and cook a variety of predominantly savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques; understand seasonality, and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed.
In Geography, we will be:
Using world maps, atlases and globes to identify the United Kingdom and its countries, as well as the countries, continents and oceans
In History, we will be:
Studying a significant turning point in British history, namely World War 2.
Languages is not covered in this topic
Music is not covered in this topic
Physical Education (PE)
In PE, we will:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres.
- Use a range of strokes effectively.
- Use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination.
Personal, Social & Health Education (PSHE)
In PSHE, we will be covering:
Getting on and Falling Out
Learning to face new challenges positively by collecting information, looking for help, making responsible choices and taking action.
In R.E, we are following the Lincolnshire syllabus and covering:
Jewish Beliefs and Lifestyles
Acquire and develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity and the other principal religions represented in Great Britain and their associated beliefs, experiences and practices. Acquire and develop knowledge and understanding of some of the influences of life experiences, beliefs, values and faith traditions upon individuals, communities, societies and cultures. Reflecting on their own beliefs, values, perceptions and experiences in the light of their study of religion. Develop positive attitudes of respect towards other people who hold views and beliefs that are different from their own.